Repairs and Insurance
Fixing your phone and keeping it safe.
Phonesured is one of the top cellular phone insurance products in South Africa. Our 100-seat call centre can be found in Durban, offering our cellular phone insurance customers friendly, understanding and efficient customer service.
With over 15 years’ experience in the mobile industry and handling mobile insurance in the UK for over 50 000 customers, you can have every confidence that you are insured with people who understand the industry and most of all – care.
Phonesured’s main aim is to keep you talking. We want you to be able to stay in contact with your family and friends no matter what – this is why we offer a very cost effective insurance package that covers your phone for theft or damage.
Our cellphones are some of the most important objects in our lives – we use them to connect with others, organise our daily lives, browse the web, record memories and so much more. Having cellphone insurance is the only way to have true peace of mind should anything happen to your phone.
What Phonesured offers:
- Cost effective, yet maximum cellular protection insurance cover.
- Comprehensive cellphone insurance cover for Theft, Loss, Unlawful Usage and Accident Damage.
- Quick and easy claim settlement.
- Repair services across the country.
- True dedication to customer satisfaction and quality.
But do I really need Cellphone Insurance?
The short answer is: Yes. Cellphones have become so advanced these days that they are serious investments. They are integral to our daily lives and should anything happen to them through loss, theft or damage – it can leave you in a tricky situation. The question is not: Can I afford to be covered? The question is: Can I afford not to be covered?
Here are just some of the facts:
- Based on current statistics, more than 180 000 cellphones are stolen in South Africa every year. That’s nearly 500 per day!
- Street crimes involving the theft of cellphones are on the rise.
- With phones becoming more expensive, replacement costs can be exorbitant. It’s more logical to insure your phone before something bad happens.
- Repair claims are common and easy to sort out. Something goes wrong with your phone – send it straight to us.
- If your cellphone is lost, damaged or stolen – you are still liable for the contract, whether you decide to replace your phone or not.
But I have Home Insurance. Surely that's enough?
Unfortunately up to 75% of household insurance policies do not cover cellphones adequately. When insuring through home insurance, please remember:
- You will require investigation and adjustment.
- You are subject to high excesses.
- Claims can take weeks to settle, leaving you without a phone and cut off from everything you use it for.
- Home insurance has average or underinsurance conditions, which can leave you with insufficient funds to find a replacement for your cellphone.
- You are not covered for unlawful usage or subscriber agreement cover.
Phonesured provides specialist cover
- Faster turnaround time on claims (within 72 hours).
- No adjustments to your policy.
- Cover for unlawful usage as well as subscriber agreement cover.
- Lower excesses (depending on how often you claim, of course).
Phonesured's honest advice
- Never leave your cellphone or any other valuables in your car. Especially when they are visible.
- If you must leave your cellphone in your car, make sure it is concealed and stored safely in a locked glove compartment.
- Ensure your phone is always within your sight and reach when you are out and about.
- Don’t pull your phone out if you feel someone is watching you. 23% of victims were using their phones or had them out when they were targeted.
- Cellphone crime is higher in city centres. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- If you need to use your cellphone, rather go to a busy area, with lots of people around.
- Avoid using your phone in the street when you don’t need to.
- Remember to register your phone with your network operator, so that if it is stolen they can block the phone and SIM card.
- Buy a protective case or cover for your phone, so it won’t get damaged from falls and other rough use.
- Should you need your phone repaired, make sure it is a designated repair centre. Phonesured will not accept repairs from any other repair centre.
- Rather avoid cosmetic changes/personalising your cellphone as it could lead to you losing your cover.
- Keep your cellphone away from children.
- Avoid downloading apps and other content from sources you don’t trust – you could end up with a virus on your phone.
- Ensure that your cellphone’s PIN control is activated.
- Don’t walk and text.
- Keep your phone’s unique IMEI number in a safe place.
- And most of all – insure your cellphone!
All NEW Virgin customers will receive the first month's insurance FREE.
A representative will call you in the first month to ask whether you would like to continue with your insurance. It’s entirely up to you whether you would like to continue, but we strongly recommend that you do.
Phonesured offers the following policies for your peace of mind.
For just R1.63 a day your phone is covered up to R1000. This affords you subscriber agreement cover up to R4000 and covers you against unlawful usage up to R1500.
R43.50 per month
The good news is – your deal includes FREE cellphone insurance for the first month. We will call you during that month to see how you’re doing, welcome you to Virgin Mobile and ask if you would like to continue with your insurance. If we can’t reach you or you would rather not continue your insurance, it will end without any charges. Not too bad!
It’s quite simple really. All you will need are:
- Your ID number or Policy number
- Your cellphone number
- The case number from the police
- Your Blacklist reference number
There’s not much worse than having a busted phone. Follow these guidelines to get it sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible!
Just so we’re on the same page – all in-warranty phones will be treated as if they are out of warranty if you fail to show proof of purchase when handing in the phone for repairs.
Phones bought from Virgin Mobile are covered under a 2-year warranty against defective manufacture faults.
The following problems will be considered out of warranty, even if the phone still falls within the 2 year warranty period:
- Damaged LCD or screen
- Unauthorised repair
- Unauthorised modification or alteration and improper installation
- Liquid damage
- Physical damage
- Damage from normal acts of God
- Shipping damage
- Phone used outside the maximum ratings as indicated in the manual supplied by the manufacturer
- Phones booked in after the 2-year warranty has expired
Before you do anything, please first check with your insurance provider to see whether they cover out of warranty repairs and if they will pay for the phone if it is booked in with us at Virgin Mobile. If not, then the phone should be booked in with their recognised repair agency.
If your phone needs a bit of a tune up, you can take it in to your nearest Virgin Mobile store for repairs or you can call our trusty Customer Care Centre on 123 FREE from your Virgin Mobile phone.
And one last thing – please check with the agent how long your repairs will take, as the turnaround time can vary depending on the repairs needed.