Rates and Bundles
More on Contract and Prepaid rates, as well as Data & SMS bundles.
What is this “FREE WhatsApp” promotion?
The FREE WhatsApp promotion is a new offer introduced to make our overall prepaid product more universally appealing. In addition to the current FREE Virgin to Virgin calls, we’ll give prepaid customers free WhatsApp with every recharge of R10 or more.
How long will this promotion run?
Starts on 2nd October 2017 and will end on 30 June 2018.
How does a customer qualify for the FREE WhatsApp?
Prepaid customers that recharge will get FREE V2V calls as well as FREE WhatsApp. The higher the recharge, the longer the FREE calls and the FREE WhatsApp are valid for. Click here to see validity period. The free WhatsApp is valid for the same number of days as the current FREE V2V calling benefit.
Which rate plans are applicable to this promotion?
Virgin Mobile Prepaid only
Have the prepaid rates changed?
No, these remain unchanged, click here to see the prepaid rates.
Is there a Free WhatsApp daily data fair usage policy?
Yes, the fair usage policy is 40 MBs per day. The FUP is reset at midnight of every day.For e.g. I recharge at 3pm today, so I’ll get my first 40 MBs of WhatsApp to use from 3pm (from the time I recharged) until midnight that day.
What happens if a customer reaches the daily FUP?
The customer will be notified and then any additional WhatsApp usage over and above the FUP will be charged for (at in-bundle or out-of-bundle rates depending on whether the customer has a bundle or not).
Which services do customers get with FREE WhatsApp?
Customers will have access to all in-app features such as sending and receiving instant text messages, voice messages, pictures, videos, files, images, etc. to anyone on their phonebook. Clicking on an external link (outside of WhatsApp), e.g. a news article on News24 as well as WhatsApp Calling and WhatsApp Video Calling, will incur normal data charges. Downloading the WhatsApp app from the App store will incur normal data charges and is not FREE.
How do customers view their WhatsApp expiry date?
- The FREE WhatsApp offer will replace the R20 bonus airtime after 90 days. I.e. any new activations after the 2nd October won’t qualify for the R20 bonus airtime after 90 days. Only customers who activated between 13 June 2017 and 1st October 2017 will receive the FREE R20 after being with us for 90 days.
- In order for WhatsApp to be truly FREE, a customer will need to have the latest version of phone settings.These settings are sent in the following ways:
1. IMEI Tracker (for new customers and when a SIM is inserted into a new phone):
a. This is the applet that resides on the SIM itself.
b. Settings are sent every time a SIM is inserted into a new handset.
c. It is not 100% reliable.
2. Recharge OTA Settings (for existing customers):
a. OTA setting will be trigger once when a recharge for a particular MSISDN is received.
b. This will only occur on the next recharge and will occur only once.
a. *100# + Option 5 (My Settings) + 1 (Get phone settings)
b. *103# + 1 (Get phone settings)
c. This will send settings on manual request
4. SICAP (for Customer Care only)
a. As a last resort we can also send the settings directly from SICAP
i. Search the MSISDN
ii. If it doesn’t exist, one can create a New Account
iii. If the handset is different to the subscribers then edit it
- Dial *110#, login to our web self-care or download our My Virgin Mobile App for FREE to activate and remove bundles. Bundles can be purchased on a once-off or recurring basis.
- If you are a TopUp customer you must load additional airtime over and above your inclusive airtime on your account before you purchase bundles.
- If you are a Contract customer you can purchase bundles from your subscription cap.
- Your bundle is effective from the purchase date and each bundle has a specific validity period.
- Unused bundles shall be forfeited at the end of the respective validity period.
- If a recurring bundle is selected all bundles are applied upon expiry. Therefore the new bundle is effective the day after the expiry of the last bundle and is automatically applied. You must have sufficient funds in your balance to make this purchase upon expiry.
- If you are on Prepaid and you do not have sufficient airtime to purchase the new recurring bundle by the end of the first day, you will be notified that the recurring bundle has been unsuccessfully loaded. You will revert to the last price plan selected and you will have to opt in for a once-off or recurring bundle again.
- If you consume your bundle prior to expiry:
- You must have sufficient airtime to continue on the out of bundle rate AND you can purchase additional once-off bundles
- Out-of-bundle rates for all bundles will be charged as per your last price plan selected.
- If there is more than one type of bundle loaded on your account, the bundle loaded first will be depleted first.
1. What are the prepaid rates?
- Vrgin-to-Virgin: R1.00 per second billing
- Virgin-to-Other: R1.00 per second billing
- Data: 50c per MB.
- SMS:50c per message.
- MMS: 75c per message
- International SMS: R1.60 per message
2. What benefits do I get on this prepaid plan?
A preloaded amount of value when you activate a new Virgin Mobile SIM card as well as FREE V2V calls on every recharge for up to 30 days!
3. What will I be charged for international calls?
International call rates can be viewed here.
4. If I activate a new Virgin Mobile SIM card, what do I get?
An inclusive value of 10 MBs of data and 10 Virgin to Virgin (“V2V”) minutes.
5. How long is the preload valid for?
21 days from the date of activation.
6. What happens to the preload if I do not use it before its expiry?
All data and V2V voice minutes will be forfeited.
7. What do I get every time I recharge?
FREE Virgin Mobile to Virgin Mobile calls.
8. Are there FREE calls on every recharge?
Yes, every time you recharge with a minimum of R10 or more. You may use the FREE V2V calls for a certain amount of time, see more details here
**NOTE that this recharge bonus validity is not the same amount of time that you have the airtime for. Airtime will not expire for as long as you keep using your SIM.
9. Are the FREE calls valid for calls to other networks?
No, only for calls to other Virgin Mobile customers.
11. Where can I view how much longer I still have to use my FREE V2V calls?
Via USSD balance enquiry, *101#
10. What if I recharge with a variable amount?
You may recharge with a variable amount (an amount other than the ones stipulated above) and you will still get FREE calls. The validity period will be the same as the recharge value below the variable amount.
12. When do I get this R20 bonus airtime?
After 90 days as an awesome Virgin Mobile customer, we’ll drop R20 bonus airtime onto you prepaid account for you to enjoy - just because we can, so be sure to stick around.
13. Do I have to recharge with a minimum value to receive this bonus airtime?
Yes, simply recharge with a minimum of R10 during the 90 days to qualify for the bonus value.
14. How long is the bonus airtime valid for?
The bonus airtime is valid for 30 days from the time is it loaded onto your account. Any unused airtime will be forfeited.
15. What can I use the bonus airtime for?
This bonus airtime may be used for local calls, SMSs, MMSs and data usage. It may not be used for international calls, roaming, airtime transfer or to buy bundles.
16. If I activated before 12 July 2017. What will happen to my prepaid plan?
If you activated before the 12 July 2017, you will automatically be converted to the new prepaid plan. Any bonus value received before the cut over will remain on your account until it is used or expires.
17. How many FREE V2V minutes do I get?
500 V2V minutes per day (See Terms & Conditions for more information)
18. How many unique Virgin Mobile numbers can I originate calls to?
19. What happens if I exceed the 500 min per day or if I call more than 15 unique numbers?
You will charged for calls outside of these thresholds at our standard voice rate of R1.00.
20.How long may I stay on one call for?
The duration of any given call may not exceed 60 minutes, and will therefore be cut after the 60th minute. However, you may drop the call and dial the number again.
We really like to keep things simple! We have applied the exact same postpaid rates across all our Contract and TopUp deals.
- Virgin-to-all: R1.99 per minute (per min billing)
- Virgin-to Other SMS: 75c
- Virgin-to-Virgin SMS: 50c
- Data: R1.00 per MB.
- MMS: 80c
- International SMS: R1.60