Virgin Mobile’s Commitment to You
Consent to the Processing of Personal Information
What Personal Information do we collect and why?
We process personal information to provide you with access to our great services and products, to improve our offerings to you and for the purposes detailed below. In order to do this, we may collect the following personal information: your name; your address; your contact details; your ID and/or passport number; your banking and card details, your employment history and your financial history. We will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, for example to:
- arrange for delivery and/or collection of mobile devices, SIM cards and/or other goods to you;
- credit vet you to ensure that you can afford, for example, the Virgin Mobile contract that you have applied for. If you take up a contract with Virgin Mobile, we may also credit vet during the term of your contract and if you apply to renew or upgrade your contract;
- update your payment profile with credit bureaus if you don’t pay on time and to hand your account over to our external debt collection agencies for debt recovery;
- verify your bank account or credit card details and, where authorised, use that information to process payments as well as applicable warranties and returns;
- confirm and verify your identity;
- detect and prevent fraud and/or crime;
- marketing and/or offer new or additional services to you and/or provide you with information on products and/or services;
- conduct customer satisfaction surveys;
- provide you with updated information on rates and amended terms and conditions,
- respond to your requests for information regarding our products, services and pricing information;
- add and use as part of our to our customer directory listing; and
- if required by law, disclose information about you to law enforcement or other government officials to respond to claims or legal process, for example, in terms of RICA. Such disclosure may be required to protect you or us from illegal activity or liability or to protect our property or the safety of our employees or others and we may do this without your consent and for any other reason as required from time to time.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
Where you expressly consent, we will disclose your Personal Information to third parties in order that you may access third party content services and participate in third party promotions. We may also disclose your Personal Information as permitted or required by law or with any legal process, for example, we will disclose Personal Information to those governmental bodies who have authority to obtain it, in order to comply with a warrant or subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction, or where we believe that it is necessary to comply with record production requirements; protect and defend our rights and properties as well as that of other application users; prevent fraud; protect against abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of the application; or protect the personal safety or properties of the public as well as that of our other application users.
Transfer of Personal Information
When you provide us with your Personal Information, the information may be used in countries other than where the information was originally entered. We will ensure that anyone that we pass your personal information to agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
We may aggregate Personal Information and remove any identifying elements in order to analyse patterns and improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to analyse application use, to improve our content and product offerings, and to customise our application’s content, layout and services.
We gather certain usage information like the number and frequency of visitors to our application. This information may include which URL you just came from, which URL you next go to, what browser you are using and your IP address. We only use this data in the aggregate. This collective data helps us to determine how much our customers use parts of the application, and do internal research on our users’ demographics, interests and behaviour to better understand and serve you.
Accessing your Personal Information
You can access and review your Personal Information held by us and make corrections to it. Please contact our Privacy Officer on email@example.com. We will try to provide the information you require within a reasonable time. There may be a small charge for some requests, depending on the information requested. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to not change any Personal Information but rather to append any alternative text you believe to be appropriate.
How is my Personal Information stored?
We use standard industry practices to safeguard the confidentiality of your Personal Information. We treat this data as an asset that must be protected against loss and unauthorised access. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorised access by users inside and outside the company. We store our electronic and paper documents at our head office in Johannesburg, South Africa or at other secure site/s. Unfortunately, perfect security does not exist on the Internet, and therefore, we make no representations or warranties with regard to the sufficiency of these security measures with respect to data transmissions and in this regard you use the application at your own risk. We will, however, notify you of any breaches of security that may occur.
Retention of your Personal Information
We undertake to only keep your Personal Information for as long as is required for our internal business purposes and in order to satisfy various accounting and legal requirements. When we no longer require your Personal Information, we will take steps to ensure that it is destroyed or that your Personal Information is removed from our database as soon as is reasonably practicable.
Protecting your Personal Information Supplied On-line
Our Internet servers are protected by firewalls and intrusion detection systems. Access to information contained on these servers is restricted to authorised personnel only. In order to help protect your Personal Information, you will be provided with a personal account identifier (“PIN”) in order to access your personal account details in the future. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your PIN and we will not be liable for any damages that arise from you misplacing your PIN or from lending your PIN to others. We recognise that you may have provided, and may continue to provide us with Personal Information in one or more ways, for example, while interacting with our call centre, visiting our application or by participating in one of our marketing or promotional events.
Contacting us about your Personal Information
If you would like to contact us with a question or complaint regarding our use or disclosure of your Personal Information, please contact our Privacy Officer or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.